- Applies EQ, stereo imaging, and final compression to the song.
- Balances each song on the album individually, ensuring that the volume of each song is consistent.
- Creates masters in the appropriate formats so that the song can be played on all platforms.
They do a lot more too!
Mastering engineers can help you get your record ready for release.
- A mastering engineer’s job is to make sure that a track sounds good on all types of playback systems like iPods, laptops, etc with different speakers and in various environments like cars or small spaces.
- The first step involves checking the mix by listening carefully to the levels of the individual tracks.
- Next, they’ll balance all those sounds to make sure that everything in the mix is audible and not competing with anything else.
- The mastering engineer will also ensure a uniform loudness throughout the whole song by adjusting volume or compression settings. Finally, they may apply subtle effects like EQ adjustments for the perfect sound.
- A mastering engineer will typically use software like Adobe Audition or Pro Tools to master tracks, and their listening skills allow them to make sure it sounds great across a wide range of playback systems.
and so much more…